The pilgrim’s and wayfarer’s hospitium on the site of what is now the Gasthof Zum Hirschen hotel, was first mentioned in the Senale town records in 1184. In 1972, the old edifice exchanged hands and went from church property into private ownership. Alois Kofler took over the property, which is now run by the Kofler-Mocatti family as a hotel already in its third generation.
During the major 2017 renovations, the entire building was carefully rebuilt to maintain its original authenticity even while being modernised. The village lifestyle and slow tempo of village life serves as a welcome counterweight to the frenetic pace of modern living. This tranquillity is only punctuated at certain hours by the sound of the church bell ringing at the sanctuary. The authentic spirit of the old pilgrim’s Hospitium has been architecturally reinterpreted in everything from the hotel facade to the restaurant, in the kitchen and in the comfortable yet essential rooms of the Zum Hirschen hotel.